The answer can be quite simple. It depends on whether or not you and your spouse can agree on the issues that arise during your separation. Generally, the following issues need to be resolved following the separation.

  • Equitable Distribution
  • Spousal Support – Custody and Visitation
  • Child Support

These issues can be resolved in a variety of different ways:

  • The parties can enter into a Property Settlement Agreement (PSA), also called a Separation Agreement, to resolve some or all of the issues.
  • The parties can take matters of Custody/Visitation, Child Support or Spousal Support individually by petition in the appropriate Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court.
  • The parties can file for divorce and address the issues during contested divorce proceedings in the appropriate Circuit Court.
  • Through mediation or other settlement conference.

Depending on the facts of your case, some options may be better or worse for you. You should consult with an attorney to weigh your options and come up with a strategy that will best meet your goals and objectives, while protecting your rights.

Higginbottom Law P.C. offers a free 30 minute consultation to explain all your options. Contact us at 757-320-2141